2023 BC Open Table Tennis Championships
Saturday and Sunday, April 22-23, 2023 Bridgeport Sports Club, 11660 Bridgeport Road
Please join the BC Table Tennis Association and our sponsors, CBA Alarms and WholeBrandFoods, for the 2023 BC Open Table Tennis Championships, a sanctioned 2-star tournament on April 22 and 23, 2023 at Bridgeport Sports Club, 11660 Bridgeport Road, Richmond.
The BC Open competition is the biggest table tennis event of the year with players expected from all over the province and Washington state. We invite players of all skill levels to participate in this gender neutral tournament. Whether this is your first tournament or you’re returning as a seasoned competitor, we have events suitable to meet your current competition level.
Of special interest to up-and-coming junior players, the BC Open is a selection tournament for the BC Junior Table Tennis Team and there are 4 age categories of junior events scheduled. The BC Junior Team will go on to compete in the 2023 Canadian Junior Championships in early July in Quebec, dates TBA. We invite all junior players from the recent BC Secondary Schools Table Tennis Championships to continue gaining momentum by competing in this tournament!
BC Open: Tournament Results
The BC Open was a thrilling event. Thanks to all who participated in the tournament from players to referees to volunteer score-keepers. See you next year!
When and where –
• Saturday and Sunday, April 22-23, 2023
• Bridgeport Sports Club, 11660 Bridgeport Road
How to register for this tournament –
• To minimize the work of our tournament coordinator, we ask that you register online by clicking on the red button at the end of this post.
• From the checkout screen, you can pay securely with PayPal or you can choose to pay later by selecting the “Cash on Demand” option. All alternative forms of payment must be received by 5pm on Tuesday April 18 to be entered into the tournament.
• If you are unable to register online, please contact the tournament coordinator here to register your events.
Deadline for registration / entry –
• All entries must be received by 5:00pm on Sunday, April 16
• Late entries or payments will NOT be accepted !!
• Tables: Double Fish and Butterfly tables and nets
• Official Tournament Ball: Butterfly R40+ 3-star
• All participants are required to have an annual membership, valid from September 1, 2022 to August 31, 2023. Membership fees are $33 (non-voting) and $43 (voting) annually. If you need to purchase or update your BCTTA membership, you can do so when you register for events on the shop page.
• Seeding in the draws is based on the latest Canadian ratings available at the time of the draw.
• The Tournament Committee may estimate the rating of any unrated player at any time during the tournament and remove that player from any event for which such a rating would make the player ineligible.
Liability and waiver –
• It is your responsibility to read all information in this post carefully and agree to the terms of the waiver when you register for your events on the shop page.
No refunds will be issued if a cancellation notice is submitted after the draw date of April 19. A $10 admin fee will be deducted from the full amount of entry fees collected for all qualified refunds.
• All singles shall have a preliminary round-robin of 3 best of 5 games to 11 points followed by a single knockout.
• Events with less than 4 entries may be canceled or combined with another event at the discretion of the tournament committee.
• Current ITTF Laws of Table Tennis will be in effect.
• All rackets must be one side black and one side another color with ITTF-approved coverings.
• Tie-breaks in round-robins will be decided by a score of matches, games, and points, only of those players involved in the tie.
• Only shorts and T-shirts are allowed to be worn during matches unless consent is given by the tournament referees.
• The color of the playing shirt must not be white.
• Non-marking shoes must be worn in the gym and street shoes are not allowed.
• In general, players will be required to umpire their own matches.
• Umpires will be provided for the semi-finals and finals matches.
Chief Referee –
Tony Shaw, assistant Tony Xu
Tournament Committee –
Eddie To; Ali Lee; Edward Wang; Wilson Cai; Amelia HO
An Important Notice to All BC Junior Players –
There are 4 age categories of events in this tournament. It is one of the selection tournaments for the BC Junior Team, members of which will compete in the 2023 Canadian Junior Championships in early July in Quebec, date TBA.
All participants must meet the eligibility. Each player can only register in his/her age event. The finalist of each age event per gender qualifies for the BC Junior Team.
Coaching or video recording are prohibited during the age events. Violators will be disqualified to be from the BC Junior Team.
1. Must be a member of BCTTA in good standing.
2. Must be a Permanent Resident (PR) or Canadian citizen.
3. Must be a resident in BC 3 months prior to April 22, 2023.
1. U19 Boys/Girls, he/she must be born in 2004 and after.
2. U15 Boys/Girls, he/she must be born in 2008 and after.
3. U13 Boys/Girls, he/she must be born in 2010 and after.
4. U11 Boys/Girls, he/she must be born in 2012 and after.
All participants playing rackets will be examined to meet the Standard of the ITTF’s rules and regulations. On one side the rubber must be in black with any ITTF-approved colour on the other side. Playing shirts and shorts must be worn during the matches. Tie break in the round-robin will be decided by a score of matches games. And points only to those players involved in the tie.
|Events and Fees|
|1. Open Singles||$50|
|2. Under 2350 Singles||$45|
|3. Under 1950 Singles||$40|
|4. Under 1650 Singles||$35|
|5. Under 1350 Singles||$30|
|6. Under 1050 Singles||$30|
|7. Under 750 Singles||$30|
|8. Under 400 Singles||$25|
|9. U19 Boy/Girls (i.e. under 19)||$35|
|10. U15 Boy/Girls||$35|
|11. U13 Boy/Girls||$35|
|12. U11 Boy/Girls||$35|
Additional notes regarding events and fees –
1. The above entry fees are for existing BCTTA members. All players are required to have an annual membership for 2023. Membership fees are $33 (non-voting) and $43 (voting) annually. A membership can be updated / purchased when you register for events on the shop page.
2. Entry fees include the player’s admin fee and rating fee.
3. U19 Boy/Girls, U15 Boy/Girls, U13 Boy/Girls, U111 Boy/Girls: these age events are limited to BC permanent residents or citizens only. It is one of the BC Junior Team Selections to the 2023 National Junior Champs in July. The finalist of each age category will qualify for the BC Junior Team. Each player can only register his/her age event, not with another age event.
4. Do not register for events starting at the same time.
5. Each player will get $5 discount when he/she entered 3 events.
6. Each player will get $10 discount when he/she entered 4 events.
7. Each player can only enter 4 events at a maximum.
|Saturday, April 22 –|
|9:00am||Under 1650 singles|
|10:30am||Under 750 Singles|
|1:00pm||Under 1950 Singles|
|2:30pm||Under 400 Singles|
|Sunday, April 23 –|
|9:00am||Under 1350 Singles|
|9:30am||Under 2300 Singles|
|2:30pm||Under 1050 Singles|
|Under 2300 Singles||$180||$90||Trophy||Trophy|
|Under 2000 Singles||$150||$75||Trophy||Trophy|
Important notes regarding Awards –
Trophies will be awarded to semi-finalists and finalists for all other singles events.
Questions and Inquires –
Click here to email the tournament organizer